Do you have a keen interest in the rapidly evolving fusion industry but want something more hands-on and practical that will see tangible positive societal impact in timeframes measured in months rather than decades?
Physics processes are rarely singular in their commercial usefulness. Since their inception Fission-born technologies have impacted our lives in a variety of far-reaching ways; spanning from nuclear medicine, plutonium RTG’s powering every major space mission, and food sterilisation or mutation increasing crop yields and reducing famine. In many ways this is thanks to the movement sparked by the Atoms for Peace speech made by Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953, which drove scientists, policy makers, and the public towards uses of fission outside of nuclear weapons. These non-power uses were enabled by fission and had a lasting positive impact on society which still endures today. Fusion is demonstrating the capacity to further these benefits well before any fusion power plant is plugged into the grid. Astral Systems is the only fusion reactor manufacturer with a tried and tested industrial pedigree. It is now well positioned to capitalise on the wide variety of markets and applications its new enhanced reactor design affords
Astral Systems is a fast-growing start-up that designs and manufactures compact fusion reactors as particle (neutron and protons) generators for fusion research and medical radioisotope generation. We are seeking a Senior Design & Production Engineer with extensive experience in designing, building and maintenance of scientific or industrial equipment, particularly in the fields of high-vacuum and high voltage systems, particle physics, radiation, fusion, and neutronics. This is a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment that is revolutionising the approach to commercial fusion.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Inherit and quickly learn from existing design drawings, assembly procedures, patents and existing facilities, as well as work with experienced engineers to take onboard critical manufacturing know-how.
- Incorporate new IP into the existing design, working with the team to execute performance optimisation through new iterations.
- Design, build, and test experimental fusion reactors and related components, using your practical experience to refine and optimise the design.
- Collaborate with a team of engineers and scientists to develop innovative solutions for complex problems related to fusion and radiation technologies.
- Liaise with specialty component & process suppliers and mechanical machine shops
- Design jigs and assembly tools and develop assembly procedures
- Design and control instrumentation interfacing with high-voltage DC and pulsed power supplies and cooling systems
- Develop and implement safety procedures for handling high-voltage and radiation-emitting equipment.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with equipment and systems.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers and technicians.
- Write technical reports and present findings to the team and external partners.
Hazard-Specific / Safety Critical Duties
- Working at height
- Manual handling
- Night working (11pm-6am) rare/unlikely
- Working with Ionising radiation
- Working with electricity (LV & HV up to 200 kV)
- Working with open and sealed radiation sources
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in mechanical, mechatronic, aerospace engineering.
- Experience in a related field such as the scientific instrumentation, nuclear, defence, aerospace, or space industries.
- At least 8 years of hands-on experience designing, assembling and testing complex scientific or industrial equipment within a low volume industrial manufacturing setting, with a focus on high-vacuum and high voltage systems.
- Experience with designing and building systems with precision engineering using the latest techniques whilst weighing costs and deadlines.
- Experience with high-voltage (up to 200 kV) and radiation safety protocols and regulations.
- Experience with interfacing automation & control programs and graphical user interfaces such as LabView.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office applications or similar.
- Proficiency with 3D CAD software (preferably Solid Edge) and data processing
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- Company share scheme
- Company bonus scheme
- Private medical insurance after 3 months of service
- Relocation or travel/commuting costs reimbursement scheme
- International work VISA cover, if required
As a Senior Engineer, you will play a critical role in developing and improving our fusion reactor technology. You will inherit an industrially tried and tested design, decades in the making, and use your practical experience to refine and optimise it. You will work closely with the existing team of experienced engineers, learning from their expertise and contributing to the development of new IP. You will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the development process, from design to testing to manufacturing, and to work with a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to bringing our technology to market.
At Astral Systems, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace where all employees feel valued and respected. We offer competitive compensation packages, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for professional development and growth.
If you are a talented engineer with a passion for innovation and a desire to make a difference, please apply today by sending:
- A cover letter
- A detailed CV, including working track and achievements