Job Title: Safety Engineer - Defuel Design Authority
Location: Plymouth, Devon + Hybrid Working Arrangement
Compensation: £42,245.00 - £48,252.00 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF55220
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Safety Engineer - Defuel Design Authority at our Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
As a Safety Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. You'll support the Design and Safety Management Team, who act as the delegated Design Authority for all Babcock owned facilities at Devonport Royal Dockyard. The team is responsible for providing specialist knowledge, support, and advice to the Facility Plant / Project Managers.
Day to day, you'll play a vital role in the production and modification of safety cases and provision of technical advice to Plant Managers to support safety critical operations:
- Support hazard identification activities including HAZOPs, checklists and walkdowns.
- Undertake safety assessments including the application of deterministic and probabilistic analysis techniques and the production of fault schedules and fault/event trees.
- Inform the design of nuclear and radiological facilities to ensure that risks are reduced to a level which is tolerable and as low as reasonably practicable.
- Author and check technical documentation.
This role is full time, 36 hours based on site at Devonport Royal Dockyard with hybrid working from home arrangements.
Essential experience of the Safety Engineer
- Hazard identification techniques
- Safety analysis techniques
- Technical report writing
- Knowledge of the Defuel facilities, plant and processes - Desirable.
Qualifications for the Safety Engineer
- Educated to Degree level in an Engineering or Scientific discipline.
Please note that this position is subject to enhanced national security vetting. The successful candidate must be a sole UK national who is able to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements (this may include obtaining SC, NNPPI or Developed Vetting (DV) level of security clearances).
- Generous holiday allowance
- Contributory Pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We are committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.