We have an AWEsome opportunity for a Principal Estimator to join us at the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE).
This is an exciting time to join us as a Principal Estimator as we begin a once in a generation programme of work in support of the United Kingdom's Continuous at Sea Deterrent.
We are located in the countryside (RG7 4PR) between Reading and Basingstoke with onsite parking. There are good bus links between our site and Basingstoke.
Salary: Competitive / Negotiable (depending on your suitability and level of experience) Email me to discuss
As a Principal Estimator you will be a key member of the Cost Estimating and Modelling Team providing leadership and specialist subject matter expertise, supporting the implementation of P3M Project Controls and enterprise-wide cost estimating
As a Principal Estimator we would like you to have experience of the following:
- Experience of large projects, programmes, and working within a project controls environment, including stakeholder engagement at all levels
- Extensive working experience at a senior or principal level
- Leading estimates and developing complex estimating
- Developing and maintaining process, procedure and ways of working
- Co-ordinating a team and developing processes and methodologies
- Experience working within construction, engineering, or regulated environments (MOD/Defence/Nuclear/Regulated)
- Detailed technical review and comprehensive report writing skills
- Building great relationships and engaging with people across the organisation
- Juggling priorities and delivering within demanding timescales
- Problem solving and reaching conclusions
- Professional body membership ACostE, APM and/or RICS is highly desirable
A typical day for a Principal Estimator could look like this:
- Act on behalf of the Head of Estimating and the PMO
- Co-ordination and task management
- Lead on multi-disciplinary cost estimating at all stages of project lifecycle this may also include whole life/through life cost estimating associated with operations
- Provide robust cost advice and analysis to support key business decision making and reviews
- Leading on validation reviews, assurance and audit
- Developing and maintaining key relationships
- Develop training and development material
- Coaching, mentoring and functional development
- Understand and interpret complex cost plans, estimate models and outputs which will also include Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA)
- Understand, interpret, and manipulate cost and schedule data
- Providing support to business cases and investment approvals
- Developing and supporting continuous improvement and cost benchmarking activities
- Managing interfaces with the Head of Estimating and Head of Risk
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you.
You can find out more HERE!
To apply: Please log into AWE Careers to submit your CV and a covering letter. Make sure that you highlight all relevant skills and experience for this job. Give us a clear view of what you can bring to the role and also why you want to work with the team here at AWE.
If successful, you must be willing and able to obtain and maintain Developed Vetting Clearance (funded by the AWE) in order to start with us in this role. It can take several months for clearance to come through.
If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid/ flexible working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Important things you need to know:
- Interviews will be scheduled during working hours
- Interviews will be 90 minutes on TEAMS and will include a 5-to-10-minute presentation
- All duties must be carried out from a UK location and there is significant requirement for regular onsite attendance here at RG7 4PR.
For more information about the role or the recruitment journey, get in touch with me (Sunflower) at:
(Sorry agencies - all recruitment for this role is being managed by our internal resourcing team here at AWE)