We are looking for a Specialist to join the Nuclear Treaty Verification (NTV) team within our Nuclear Threat Reduction (NTR) group. You would be part of a team maintaining the UK's capability in treaty monitoring and verification for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.
This role is the perfect opportunity for those looking to develop their career in an operational environment. If you have knowledge or skills in the following areas, then we want to hear from you:
- Working in a range of environments from laboratories to off-site locations
- Maintaining scientific equipment
- Carrying out logistics tasks in support of the NTV programme
The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues and end users to deliver our operational capability.
Nuclear Treaty Verification Specialist
Package: £33,770 - £45,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 21st September 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time.
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family.
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
What will you be responsible for?
- Day to day running of the NTV facility at Blacknest
- Maintenance of NTV monitoring equipment at multiple sites across the UK
- Supporting temporary equipment deployments for trials both nationally and internationally
- Delivery of specific practical and logistical tasks to schedule, cost and quality
- Undertaking scheduled maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment
- Supporting quality assurance in areas such as electrical testing and calibration of instruments
- Providing logistical support to the training, exercise and other programmes
- Contribute to continuous improvement by identifying efficiencies, reporting lessons learned and capability gap
- Work as part of the UK National Data Centre operations team and work collaboratively with the UK NDC scientists
We would welcome applications from candidates who can demonstrate knowledge or experience in several of the following:
- Self-motivation and require minimal supervision to complete tasks
- Proven ability to work alone or as part of a team to achieve common goals
- Ability to work safely and securely aligned to AWE policies
- Proven ability to problem solve
- Ability to communicate well at all levels (written and verbal)
- Experience of establishing excellent working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge to be able to influence decisions
- Skilled and experience in working at height and confined spaces
Candidates should have or be willing to undertake training to become qualified in:
- Full clean driving licence
- Site driving permit
- Work Supervisor
- Risk Assessor
- First aider
- Other relevant training as required
The requirement of this post will also require the successful applicant to undertake travel across the UK and also abroad; and to work extended periods away from home.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.