We are seeking Nuclear Safety Engineers with diverse skillsets, who are at various stages of their careers to join our dynamic team. We are proud to have such a friendly and supportive group for you to join and offer excellent development opportunities for our staff to progress within the team (e.g. training up to MSc level if desired).
Role: Nuclear Safety Engineers (Office Based)
Salary: £35,720 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 01st December 2023
Key aspects of these roles will be to provide an in-house warhead safety assessment capability in support of delivering the company's strategic objectives. These roles will entail effective delivery of warhead safety assessments and providing advice on warhead safety, systems, electrical or mechanical design, explosives, nuclear and process engineering.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities of the roles:
- Deliver warhead safety assessments on time and in full, aligned with company management procedures
- Conduct safety analysis against requirements and standards across the full engineering lifecycle
- Ability to apply appropriate safety methods, tools and techniques to a product (HAZID, HAZOP, FTA, FMEA, bowtie analysis, etc.)
- Ability to consider higher level system and detailed component or material issues
- Liaise with a range of stakeholders as part of a wider system design and verification team, balancing conflicting priorities and perspectives
- Support external activities as required as part of the Outreach and Engineering Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia
Key Skills and experience we are looking for:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in science, engineering or closely related discipline or equivalent level of experience
- Experience of high consequence safety assessments or are looking to develop within a nuclear safety focussed role
- Experience in high hazard environments or related industries
- A practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering and scientific judgement and with broad experience in using fundamental engineering and scientific skills
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
As you would expect for such roles, the highest security clearance is required.
You must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary clearance which may take some time. Occasional international travel will be required as part of the role.