Job Title: Mechanical Supervisor - Trades
Location: Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute
Compensation: £38695 - £45,258 plus benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF51854
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Mechanical Supervisor - Trades at HMNB Clyde.
As a Mechanical Supervisor - Trades, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. Areas of responsibility will include Lead and manage a mechanical trades team for the delivery of Fleet Engineering work packages. Ensuring delivery of objectives in terms of safety, cost, time and quality requirements. Using technical capability to plan and schedule packages of work within our Fleet Engineering business area.
Please note that the role holder must be comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces.
Day to day, you'll lead a team of Industrial and Non Industrial Trades which is responsible for carrying out planned and reactive maintenance, testing and commissioning activities on Fleet Assets. Ensuring completion of all planned project activities to ensure the department meets the objectives of the business to time, cost, safety and quality standards.
* Work with the Fleet Programmes Team to define and detail the work required to deliver each activity, defining each task and schedule activities as required.
* Regular reporting to Delivery Manager on progress, team performance and development and highlight any delivery risks on assigned work packages
* Ensure that work is carried out in line with current processes and make suggestions on improving systems and processes to increase productivity and safety in accordance with set objectives and timescales to further continuous improvement and to share best practice across programme teams
* Work within all H&S legislation, Safe Systems Of Work and control of work processes in accordance with Clyde policies.
* Manage sub-contractor work packages when required, including review of quality of output
This role is based on-site at HMNB Clyde, Faslane.
Essential experience of the Mechanical Supervisor - Trades
* Previous supervisory or first line management experience gained within an mechanical or marine engineering discipline
* Ability to lead and develop a team of Trades resource, and engage senior stakeholders and produce reports as required
* Experience of working to defined work packages, including ability to liaise with Project Engineering teams to ensure tasks are clearly defined and planned before leading your team to deliver as agreed
* Experience of delivery of maintenance procedures, production of risk assessments, method statements, COSHH assessments and Safe Systems of Work with excellent team leading skills.
Qualifications for the Mechanical Supervisor - Trades
* Recognised Mechanical or Marine Engineering Apprenticeship qualified to SVQ Level 3 (or NVQ and C&G equivalent) or HNC and above in an Mechanical Engineering discipline with industry experience.
* IOSH qualification would be beneficial but not essential for this role
* ILM3 or equivalent first line management certification would be desirable but not essential for this role
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.
* Generous holiday allowance
* Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
* Employee share scheme
* Employee shopping savings portal
* Payment of Professional Fees
* Reservists in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
* 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.