We have opportunities for experienced Finite Element Analysts to support the development of our simulation capability. You will be assessing the performance of nuclear weapons in dynamic environments using finite element modelling tools to predict how weapon components and systems respond to a broad range of thermal and mechanical environments.
Finite Element Analyst
Location: Reading area
Package: £40,000 - £70,000 (depending upon skills and qualifications)
Closing Date: 27th September 2023
This will involve constructing appropriately featured and converged mesh geometries from drawings/CAD, implementing suitable material models, and optimising to resolve quantities of interest. You will utilise AWE's high performance computing platforms and also have the opportunity to further develop our bespoke tools and processes. This work is to support the design and approval process, troubleshoot complex problems and assist with new technology research.
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
To be a success in this role you will have;
- A good Bachelor's degree (or higher qualification) in a relevant subject area.
- Experience in using commercial finite element analysis software to perform dynamic and thermo-mechanical analysis.
- Experience in stakeholder management and working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience in managing interfaces between different analysis codes.
- Experience in different mesh types and their application to complex geometry.
- Knowledge of at least one data analysis tool (Python, Perl, C++, Fortran etc.).
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role .