Job Title: Fabricator
Vacancies: Multiple x 10
Location: Rosyth, Dunfermline
Compensation: £33,711 to £36,231 + Overtime + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF54141
At Babcock, we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Fabricator. We currently have multiple opportunities for Fabricators to join our team in Rosyth, where you'll play a key part in helping to build the new 'Inspiration' class, Type 31 frigate.
Type 31 will be at the heart of the Royal Navy's surface fleet, deterring aggression and maintaining the security of the UK's interests. They will work alongside the UK's Allies to deliver a warship presence across the globe and enable a forward naval presence.
We're committed to delivering five Type 31 frigates by the end of 2028 but, with operations and opportunities spanning the length and breadth of the UK, your career can grow across our business.
As a Fabricator, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. If you can bring technical skills and a safe working attitude, then we can provide you with one of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer.
You'll be part of a friendly, supportive team, working alongside other experienced professionals like yourself who are engaged in carrying out general fabrication activities, including below:
- Structural steel fabrication
- Working with high tolerances
- Lining out and marking off
- Interpretation of drawings, and specifications, for fabrication work
- Grinding, burning and drilling
- Use of disc cutters, guillotine and band saws
- Arc air gouging
- Tack welding
- Production of Moulds and Templates
- Fabrication and fitting ventilation
As well as daily routine maintenance checks, you will plan and execute operations in a safe and controlled manner in accordance with Health and Safety and job-specific method statements. You will take ownership of activities and processes within your manufacturing remit, ensuring that safe working practices are adhered to at all times.
The Fabricator role is full-time, 37-hours per week, Monday to Thursday, with plenty of opportunities to boost your earnings potential with flexible overtime.
Essential experience of the Fabricator
- The ability to read engineering drawings and interpret work instructions
- Highly competent in the use of hand-held and semi-automatic burning equipment
- Highly competent in the use general workshop machinery and tools specific to fabricating
- Experience of working within the marine industry with experience of Royal Navy ships and submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels or large commercial ships - however other relevant experience will be considered
Your safety and wellbeing are of paramount importance to us because health and safety is an integral part of our business. We operate in a high-risk environment; therefore, we are looking for people who share our understanding and respect for health and safety.
Qualifications for the Fabricator(at least one of the following)
- Indentured Apprenticeship
- Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in a sheet metal, structural steel or fabrication related discipline
- Level 3 Engineering qualification relevant to the role
Please note that all applicants must be able to achieve a minimum of Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance, for this post.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.