Job Title: Engineering Director (PP&E)
Location: UK - Flexible Location
Compensation: Competitive with attractive benefits package
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF53433
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as our Engineering Director overseeing the PP&E Programme (Process Plant and Equipment) on behalf of the UK's Atomic Weapon Establishment (AWE).
The PP&E programme is a once in a generation programme of National importance to provide critical infrastructure and capability as part of a wider delivery-partnership to the UK's Atomic Weapon Establishment (AWE). It requires complex systems engineering, multiple client and supplier interfaces managed in a highly regulated and secure environment.
The Engineering & Technical Director is a principal role accountable for successfully delivering the capability outcomes of the PP&E programme. The role holder leads the overall engineering and technical delivery teams and is responsible for ensuring that the engineering product delivered to the customer meets all the regulatory, safety, quality, and performance requirements.
The role holder will also lead on technical integration issues across the programme and ensure that the E&T personnel are focussed on the overall programme outcomes throughout the early design stages. The role holder may also hold the overall technical authority for the delivery of the programme.
Day to day, you'll develop best practise, create a strong team dynamic, pro-actively manage risks and build and sustain long term relationships with a critical Customer, multiple partners, suppliers and related stakeholders.
- The primary responsibility of the position is managing the delivery and commissioning of multiple complex end-to-end nuclear engineering/manufacturing solutions for clients
- Participating as a key member of the Programme's Senior Leadership Team to drive performance and develop a delivery focussed team approach.
- Developing customer, supplier and partner relationships as the key Senior Engineering interface.
- Hands-on on practitioner who can suggest innovative solutions to delivery problems/processes that leverage technology to provide marketing differentiation, efficiency improvements, and better user experiences
- Create, present, and advocate multi-disciplinary engineering approaches with deep technical details
- Participate in the full life-cycle of engineering delivery from concept design through manufacture, installation, commissioning and into operations
- Lead implementation of the solutions from establishing project requirements and goals to solution "go-live"
Essential experience of the Engineering Director:
Although this role is working within a nuclear environment previous experience is not essential. Applications from all high hazard, safety critical industries are welcomed.
- Experience operating within a multi-function Senior Leadership Team at Business or complex programme level. Or, the ability to demonstrate a readiness to step into a Leadership role within a significant programme.
- Proven track record in managing large scale engineering solutions through design and commissioning.
- Significant experience of delivering complex programmes in a programme-partnership approach, JV or similar.
- A strong influencer - able to sell ideas and impact on partners or functions who are not within your direct control.
- Proven experience of hands-on managing delivery of an organization of 100+ FTE and or high business impact engagements of a similar size
- Experience with complex engineering challenges in a highly regulated environment
This is a full time permanent position. We are flexible on location however the successful candidate will be required to travel to Newbury, Bristol & Warrington as and when required.
Qualifications for the Engineering Director:
- Minimum of a BEng/BSs degree in relevant discipline or equivalent business experience.
The successful candidate must be a sole UK National who is able to achieve DV security clearance, although this will not be required at the start of employment.
Interviews will be undertaken during week commencing 09/10/2023.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world.
To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.