Job Title: Electrical Authorising Engineer
Location: Faslane, Helensburgh + Hybrid Working Arrangements
Compensation: Competitive Salary + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF55152
At Babcock, we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as an Electrical Authorising Engineer at HMNB Clyde.
As the Ministry of Defence's commercial partner at HMNB Clyde, we provide highly specialist engineering support services, including the management of critical infrastructure and nuclear facilities. We also deliver operational maintenance, upgrades and repairs to support Royal Navy vessels, including the Vanguard and Astute-Class nuclear submarines based in Scotland.
As the Electrical Authorising Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. You'll be a subject matter expert for high voltage, low voltage and hazardous area electrical systems and equipment, representing Babcock Marine at site authorisation committees, as required.
In support of the Head of Compliance, you'll ensure that significant risk electrical engineering activities, operations, safe systems of work and assets across HMNB Clyde comply with relevant legislation and regulations, as defined in MOD JSP375 (Volume-3 Chapters-2&3) as well as provide professional engineering support to operational areas.
Day-to-day you will:
- Act as Assessor for the operational appointment of Authorised Persons (Elect) and Network & Generation - Authorised Persons in Control (Duty Control Engineers) at HMNB Clyde so as to ensure safe and compliant operations.
- Act as the focal point for the CDM client or project manager for all construction works to initiate the necessary exchange of pre-construction information and inform design and build deliberations.
- Act as a focal point ensuring that all safety notices relating to infrastructure, systems and services are produced, communicated and actioned accordingly. Also, you'll provide competent, independent and impartial professional advice to management at HMNB Clyde in relation to the regulatory compliance of facilities and systems.
This role is full-time, 37.5 hours per week and will be based at HMNB Clyde with hybrid working from home arrangements, however, this is a critical role so will be required to attend site for business needs.
Essential experience of the Electrical Authorising Engineer:
Broad and deep knowledge of the design, operation, inspection and maintenance of large-scale electrical plant, equipment, systems and services in a highly regulated, high-hazard industrial manufacturing or maintenance environment. Experience with safe systems of work
Qualifications for the Electrical Authorising Engineer:
- Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer.
- Recognised Electrical Apprenticeship or equivalent.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 18th Edition - City and Guilds.
- Licensed and formally appointed by MoD Defence Infrastructure Organisation as an Authorising Engineer - can gain in post (salary dependent).
- ISO 9001 Lead Auditor - can gain in post.
- NEBOSH - can gain in post.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to achieve SC security clearance for this role.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Contributory Pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.