Job Title: Design Manager
Location: Devonport, UK- Hybrid working
Compensation: Competitive Salary + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF48820
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a 5-Basin Berth Design Manager at our Devonport site.
The Design Manager is based within our Devonport Royal Dockyard. Babcock provides services including fleet time engineering, facilities management, waterfront services, logistics and transport within an agreed operating budget, firmly focused on continuous and sustainable improvement in warship and submarine support.
As a 5-Basin Berth Design Manager you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. The primary purpose of the role is to manage the design development to meet the 5-Basin berthing requirements for Astute Class submarines at two new berths. You will have a small team responsible for acting as the intelligent customer for the acceptance of design work on behalf of the business. You will be accountable to the 5-Basin Design and Safety Manager.
Day to day, you will have a small team responsible for acting as the intelligent customer for the acceptance of design work on behalf of the business. You will be accountable to the 5-Basin Design and Safety Manager.
Day to day, you'll:
- Develop, lead, manage and co-ordinate the technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management decisions
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget
- Ensure design information is articulated to the 5-Basin Berth Safety Manager to enable appropriate justification of the engineering / activities within the Facility Safety Case
- Liaise with Engineering Services Technical Authority Leads - to ensure system / facility design can be integrated within existing infrastructure, share learning from experience etc.
- Talk with other Facility Design Managers (such as 10-Dock & SRC) - to ensure consistence of approach, learn from experience, process improvement etc.
- Interface with H&SE Management Team (such as CDM) to communicate information regarding risk assessments, design information etc. for addition to the pre-construction information pack.
Essential experience of the 5-Basin Berth Design Manager role:
- Strong Leadership skills
- Excellent understanding of the highly- regulated industry
Qualifications of the 5-Basin Berth Design Manager role:
- Relevant Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering Qualifications
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides hybrid working arrangements.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.