Are you an Applied Scientist with an interest in High Voltage or X-Rays? Would you like the opportunity to work in AWE's unique Hydrodynamics Delivery Unit? Then we have the perfect role for you. AWE are recruiting for an Applied Scientist to develop their knowledge and experience on a distinctive system. We would like someone who has experience working with X-Rays or high voltage systems and could undertake training and mentorship of junior members of the team teaching them best practice and techniques.
Salary: £33,770 - £50,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 04th December 2023
The Trials & Test Group are looking for an Applied Scientist to work in our Hydrodynamics Delivery Unit. The Hydrodynamics Delivery Unit (HDU) is a group of talented individuals brought together from multiple functions to deliver weapon-related explosive experiments for the AWE programme. Skilled scientists, engineers, technicians, and project managers all contribute to a figurative and literal dynamic trials environment.
Candidates must be willing to work safely within a uniquely hazardous environment for this role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and operate a high voltage pulsed power system for X-Ray diagnostics for Hydrodynamic trials.
- Contribute to the production and delivery of technical reports and presentations.
- Contribute to the delivery of the system from concept to realisation.
- Support the progress of designs through product lifecycle.
- Providing instruction & guidance in maintenance techniques to other team members.
- Maintaining and promote high standards in ESH (Environmental, safety & health), security and quality.
- Understand the hazards and associated risks of any work conducted.
- Maintaining and keep accurate maintenance and breakdown reports on X-Ray capabilities.
- Producing and maintaining detailed safe systems of work within area of responsibility (i.e. Method Statements).
- Analyse & interpret X-Ray machine data related to performance & keep accurate records of any maintenance performed on specialised X-Ray diagnostics.
- Perform any preventative maintenance on X-Ray diagnostics and carry out repairs when necessary.
- Candidate must be willing to undertake secondary roles for the delivery unit as required.
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates would also benefit from knowledge of ANY of the following:
- Experience in maintaining Pulsed Power or High Voltage Systems.
- Experience in maintaining high vacuum systems would be advantageous.
- Experience in maintaining/operating X-Ray machines.
- Prior experience of recording and analysing of test data.
- Proven experience of preparing safety documentation, writing reports and giving presentations.
- Level 3 BTEC or equivalent or experienced individuals, in an engineering or science discipline.
To be considered for the role you would ideally have an HND or degree qualification in an engineering discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment and possess strong communication skills.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full Pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.